Fiery the Angels rose, and as they rose deep thunder roll'd
Around their shores: indignant burning with the fires of Orc
- William Blake, America A prophecy.

Confessions of an Ex-Soldier, Ex-Cop and Ex-Con

Group

Friday, August 15, 2019

I went to Group this evening after we closed up.

I tried group therapy in the can a couple of times, mostly as a way to get out of work detail, and thought it was stupid.

This wasn’t like that, it was more like an AA meeting (I went to a few of those in the can too), more like a support group for ex-cons trying to go straight. Everybody stood up in turn and talked about what they were doing to turn their lives around. Some seemed to be doing ok, but most just made excuses: nobody will hire a con, I know I’m not drinking too much but my PO won’t get off my back, the bitch married some other guy while I was in the joint and she won’t even let me see the kids, etc. People offered each other advice, most of it the things one convict says to another, and just about as useful. I tried not to be judgmental, really tried, stones and glass houses again, but it seemed more like reinforcement of bad habits and excuses.

I promised myself that I was done with excuses, and I don’t see much use in mutual masturbation.

Afterward we all stood around and talked about the comet and the quakes, the war, and rest of it. You know its bad when even bottomed out ex-cons are worried about what’s going on in the world.

I may go back next week, but probably not. Unless the PO makes a big deal out of it.

Posted by VanDerDecken at 11:58 PM

No comments: